4/08/2004
A New York Minute ...
I got back from New York City yesterday tired and happy. The guy at Voice of America told me that I look just like Michael Moore and sadly, I couldn't convince him that I really look like Steve McQueen. I did a reading at the KGB Bar feeling very Manhattan. Everybody was very warm and receptive. It was especially cool to meet book collectors who came in with bags full of various first editions. Note to Collectors: The Devil's Highway is going into second and third printings already. So if you're getting firsts, get 'em now because they will disappear.

I got to meet Manuel Munoz face-to-face. If you haven't read him, his book of stories is called Zigzagger and it's great. And one of the nicest surprises of the trip was hooking up with one of my old students from the Harvard days, Jud Weaver. It was funny to realize that even though I was teaching him back then, we were really both just kids. And now, here we were, all grown up in a New York bar.

I had a rare treat (a cheap thrill?) when I was walking through LaGuardia airport. They had copies of the book in the airport bookshop! This is a first for me. For years, I've walked through those bookstores, seeing the books of all my pals and feeling sorry for myself. And then suddenly, there I was! In the airport!

So home again. I have some more interviews around here. Another reading. And some frantic work on Teresita (The Hummingbird's Daughter) before I head for the West Coast. Hope to see you in LA, San Diego, Tucson, or Phoenix in the next couple of weeks. If you like the book, drop me a line (or feel free to post a review on amazon.com). If you don't like the book, you don't need to be invited. You'll find a way to let me know you hate it.

Luis


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]