5/25/2004
You lie awake at 3 a.m. and listen to immense storms roll across the Midwest.
Yesterday, the Siberian Husky next door got my daughter through the fence. I heard her screaming and ran out to find him yanking and shaking her left hand. I got him off her and Cindy and I rushed her to the hospital. Stitches and sorrow. But, it puts all the book tour foolishness in perspective ...

This week I was back at NPR recording some stuff for All Things Considered. That show will air June 14. I also got the great news that The Devil's Highway is on the Denver best-seller lists. Somehow the book keeps on rolling. If you're in the Chicago area June 5 for Printer's Row Book Fair, I'll be doing a solo reading at 3 p.m. Come and say hello.

I have a newspaper interview on Friday and a possible trip to DC soon. Keep your eye on the schedule -- just like the Monkees, you never know where I'll be found, I might come to your town.

On every tour, there is one person that so baffles you that you think of them as asshole-of-the-month. I have to tell you this fellow in Denver definitely befuddled me. After my patented horrible death in the desert reading, I had a signing line of about 50 people. He was near the end and asked me to sign his book. Then he told me it was too bad I had wasted the opportunity to write a serious book. I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "Y'know, a serious book. You could have written a book with ideas in it." I just stared at him and finally said, "Ideas? What kind of ideas?" He said, "I don't know. I just think you could have written something serious." It was like a scene out of a David Lynch movie for me. As if we were talking about two completely different books. I finally said, "Do you want a policy book? I don't understand." And he said, "I don't know what I want. I just wish it had some ideas in it." This absurd dialogue ended with me saying to him, "This book has ideas in it." Who's on first?

So Chayo is mending with stitches in her hand. The rivers in Illinois are flooding. The tornado sirens go off. Another storm is rolling in right now. I am busy trying to battle with the last section of The Hummingbird's Daughter. And we are all gearing up for our yearly exodus across the U.S., this time we are thrilled to be going back to Fishtrap in Oregon and then down to Southern California for more promo and hype.

Thank you for buying the books and making it all possible.

Luis


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]