The Wastelander's Notebook, Vol. 1
3/08/2006
Homer Hogan's out of date and out of print Dictionary of Modern American Synonyms ($1.75! Published in 1959!) lists the word "wastelander" as a synonym for "writer." Don't you love it? I love it. (By the way, don't you love Michelle's design updates on the website? We are MUTATING and will soon look like the five-legged steers in Oakley, Kansas! See below for a brief tour of the Prairie Dog Town complex a post or two back.)

Contracts are being haggled over; legal matters are buzzing; the movie director is meeting with the Oscar-friendly script writer. In other words, The Hummingbird is close to being a film deal. As promised, I will tell you as soon as the ink is on the paper.

I've been looking through my notebooks lately. Thought you'd enjoy a peek. Me, wastelander; you, bibliophage. Eat this blog.

*****

The Wastelander's Notebook, Vol. 1

Eyes play tricks in Arizona sun.
Sign saying
FREE LUBE
and
OIL CHANGE
becomes
FREE GIANT
GILA
MONSTER.

#

Work, my business is play. Don't interrupt.

#

learned today
Marilyn Manson
doesn't inspire
haiku

#

brown face always smiling:
look
how I fail to understand
the cricket.

#

like my hand, moving in dreams--
on her breast,
the cricket's shadow.

#

horrible fly eating shit:
10,000 snowy mountains reflected in its eye

#

Last night, I heard a cricket
say Neruda, Neruda, Neruda....

#

A sign in a store window in Oak Park, Illinois:

OK, OK, so we aren't
that friendly,
but at least
we bathe!

#

They think I take notes:
department meeting notebook.

#

my first love.
we once rode out a tornado together.
when the windows shattered, she washed blood from my feet.
today,
they scatter her ashes.

#

touched by your lover's hand
my God
it's full of bones

#

lying naked beside my wife
2:45 in the morning
cold Louisiana wind sizzles
in the live oaks
100 feet high: ten acorns
an hour tap dance on our roof,
cat purrs, dog snores,
the wind blows like a sea tide.
that's all.
I have nothing more I can tell you.

#

Things That Are Poems in Themselves: pumpjacks nodding in drought-killed fields/the wind in Bakersfield and the word "pumpjack"/the smell of 1965 tortillerias/old pencil in a stained coffee cup/the abandoned church in Raton Pass/one footprint/a telephone ringing unanswered at 3:00 a.m./taillights rounding a far bend/that love-smell on your skin/the word "Interstate"/old woman in a diner staring at her soup/aspen leaves almost sullied by mud/an old man in a park breaking off pieces of his sandwich to feed the birds.

#

every name in the world for cricket
sounds like a cricket naming the world:
cricket, grillo, grillot, gharhat,kiichul, panzi, criquer.

#

her nipple
hides
the volcano

#

"You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense." CS Lewis

#


See you next time, dear reader...Luigi


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]