Writing Meditation: Beauty, Beauty 6/28
6/28/2007
In antiquity, Plotinus called God "The First Beauty." That strikes me as a fine description of what I see when I look toward The Infinite. Perhaps it's a definition that even my atheist pals can embrace. I was an atheist myself...when I was fifteen and smarter than God.

First Beauty--can I deny it is what I need to feel inside, under and behind my words when I write? If I don't feel the burn of sun, the stench of mud, the intoxication of flowers, the dizziness of love, the trance of sex, the rocking of water, the tides of rocks when I write, I tear up the page or switch off the computer. I'm not saying it's good...that's another issue often decided by English teachers, editors, or the gnomes who give letter grades for reviews at Entertainment Weekly. But it has to be...indwelled.

Here's a thought about writing that Basho would have appreciated. Geronimo, too. As always, we aren't just talking about writing here, are we?

Fyodor Dostoevsky said:

"Love all God's creation, both the whole and every grain of sand. Love every leaf, every ray of light. Love the animals, love the plants, love each separate thing. If thou love each thing, thou wilt perceive the mysery of God in all; and when thou perceive thus, thou wilt thenceforward grow every day to a fuller understanding of it; until thou come at last to love the whole world with a love that will then be all-embracing and universal."

Man, Dostoevsky--what a simp! Too bad his attitude didn't help him write any books!

Thenceforward,
Luis


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]