Writing Meditations
9/15/2007
I believe we are more like rivers than we are like meadows.

--Annick Smith, Homestead

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.

--Marcel Proust

I wrote the best chapter I've ever written. Happened two days ago. It shocked me into silence, so I spend the next days watching t-vo cable shows and walking on the treadmill. Nayeli's Seven is going to be a great novel, if I can keep this up. It's the funniest and saddest yet. Now, if I can just work in some true romance. I guess I need to get back to work.

Speaking of GETTING TO WORK, you writer sisters and brothers of mine, let our motivational speaker and all-around lover of life, Franz Kafka, offer us this thought:

#

"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait. Do not even wait, be still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice. It will roll in ecstasy at your feet."

#

That reminds me of our pal David Grayson's writing about his desk, and my shameless rip-off of Grayson in "Time to Write." (Both offered, free, free, free of charge! On this blog!) We are in a continuum. The heat wave has made storms come here from Missouri. A squadron of cickadees came from nowhere to feed this morning. Basho and Issa said what Grayson said and what Kafka said and I try to say what they said. And writing, like the rain and the birds and the haiku poets, will not fail you. All you have to do is find writing's season, then surrender to it.

Y'all come back now, hear?
L


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]