Kobayashi Matsuo Urrea: The Tour Haiku, Vol. III
11/12/2008
this burning moment
I resolve to inhabit
until the next one

#

first thought, best thought
the masters have often said
oh! I have no thought

#

friendly notebook--
when all the world's against me
you open your arms.

#

en el espejo
espero ver la cara
de mi difunta

#

Critics know nothin'--
when I need to love writing
I ask ol' Beat Jack.

#

expressway in rain
fighting the clock to O'Hare
one last autumn flight.

#

abandoned airport--
automatice walkway runs,
bearing only ghosts

#

I don't find poems
in neon tubes, empty chairs--
wait, maybe I do.

#

old man at counter
ordering ticketing crew
to change the weather

#

"I'm not freaking out:
woman on cell phone tonight--
"I'm just saying this."

#

aspens face winter--
before snow, bare white tree trunks--
why do I see God?

#

three Mexican maids
bring me more hotel coffee
Spanish is our summer

#

wish my handwriting
were handsomer than it is--
hell, I can't read this!

#

Onitsura laughs--
Kerouac pours Basho's tea--
Buson paints a crow.

#

walking up the muntain--
in Basho's sunlit river
trout stalk fishermen.

#

the writers gather
before rows of microphones
lonely for silence

#

the gift bags contain
chocolate and vino--
I take an apple

#

wild turkey in yard
was never deeply impressed
the provost called me

#

Dear Academics--
I confess I thought of elk
all through your meeting.

#

slant ontogenies:
memes of gnomic poetics--
please someone kill me.

#

must have gone insane--
told a workshop of strangers
I loved all of them

#

Tender young writer
you face savage storms alone--
will you bend or break?

***

Home now. Family's playing Wii. I'm drinking coffee. Trying to finish the semester. Will probably venture one final round of tour haiku.

Every time I am in the frozen sky, I am thinking of you.

XXX, L


Post a Comment




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]